From:
Lenore Epstein <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lenore Epstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 19:23:00 -0500

About a month ago I posted a question about food-based GF B100 vitamins and
although I got tons of responses I never got around to summarizing.
Sorry!  But here's what I heard.  Some of the suggested products aren't
food-based, but they're still good quality. A lot of the food-based ones
aren't just B's; they've got tons of other stuff in them, some of which I'm
trying to avoid, and some of which is expensive.  I ended up using
Solgar's "B-Complex 100"; it's not completely food-based but it's cheaper
than some of the fancier alternatives, and I decided that it was better to
be able to afford all the other supplements I need as well!

Thank you for all of your responses.

Lenore

**********************

Check out Andrew Lessman "Your Vitamins" at  hsn.com  The vitamins are in
an easy to swallow capsule and are in an easily digestible powder form.
They state on the container gf, no additives of any kind.  They're a little
pricey but I don't experience any digestive problems with them

Pharmanex has the highest bio-availability based on two double blind
studies - the only supplement company to run these expensive kind of
pharmaceutical studies www.laroche.mypharmanexusa.com

Freedas vitamins. All they make is GF vitamins. You can find them at there
websight www.freedavitamins.com

with www.vitaminshoppe.com. Their own brands are GF although it doesn't say
it on the label. It does say no wheat. I called previously on their
products and they confirmed that they are gluten free. Please let
me know if they have one that is food-based.  Also Rainbow Bright is GF

check out Twin Labs and Solgar

The following brands are safe for CDs:  Perque - out of Sterling, VA or
Metagenics which is based in Washington state.  Each of these companies have
websites and you can order from them - do a google search.  Also the Life
Extension organization at www.lef.org sells great vitamins that are
gluten-free.  CDs have to have vitamins that are easily absorbable in
addition to being gluten-free.  Also, some chiropractors are light-years
ahead of MDs and carry these vitamins.  Contact the above two companies and
they can tell you who they sell to in your area

(I didn't take the following advice because it doesn't apply to me, but I'm
passing it on because it'll be of interest to some with wasting or
persistent digestive and absorption problems):

Celiacs do not absorb B12 orally  and your B12 levels are likely to be
deficient even if blood work indicates that it isn't so (you can't always
believe blood tests since it is what gets into the cells that counts).
Therefore, convince your doctor that you want to try B12 shots - it should
be daily for 30 days and then 1-2x per week or change to a sublingual
tablet.  Superior Source is sold in health food stores, but you will need a
much larger dose than non-celiacs: 5000mcg  to 10,000 mcgs per day
(5-10 tablets).  Take on an empty stomach.