From:
Carol Lydick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 1997 17:20:34 EDT

I would like to know if there are others out there that have this
problem when they eat gluten.  My tongue presents an irregular bulls eye
shape pattern when touched to a gluten containing item almost immediately, such
as licking an envelope.  If I eat gluten in some food, the sore develops within
a few hours.  It is almost like the villi or taste buds, or whatever the
normal coating on the tongue is called, is stripped away.  I have been
tested for allergies and told that I have no gluten or wheat ALLERGIES that
would account for an allergic reaction.  If I continue to eat the offending
food, the tongue becomes bright red and shiny all around the edges and heavily
coated in the middle.  This often clues me into the fact that I have had an
unknown gluten encounter.

When showing it in the early stages to a doctor, I am told that I have a
"geographic tongue" (called that because the tongue appears to have what
looks like a tiny map with little islands printed on it).  He told me
that they do not know what causes it, but many people have it.  My
daughter had these sores when she was about 4 years old.  She said her
tongue hurt, so the doctor treated it with a baby teething product to
numb it, but (30 years ago), also said it was not uncommon, but did not
know what caused it.  She subsequently outgrew the condition.

What I was wondering was if others with CD had this phenomena that it
might be a predictor in those who have not been diagnosed and have
vague symptoms.  I believe my daughter, from her symptoms, has CD, but
she does not wish to be tested at this time. It could be just something
peculiar to me.  I often believe this process of sores happens all the way down
my digestive system.

Carol in NJ