From:
A Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2006 12:27:15 -0700

Hi All--

  I just simply HAD to post to everyone who has struggled with me these past four years as I tried to find a GF bread that my body could tolerate. I'm allergic to amaranth, sorghum, soy and yeast. The bean (legume) flours cause constipation (which is also my first clue if I've accidently ingested gluten), so I can't tolerate the newer bread mixes that make such wonderful bread. Guar gum is derived from a legume, so I had to switch from guar to xanthan. But finally....I have a bread for sandwiches and toast in the a.m.!! (I can't say I'm crazy about xanthan, so I may try substituting unflavored gelatin next time)

  I use Bette Hagman's yeast-free Featherlight Bread recipe, but use 3 cups of flour for an 8-1/2" x 4-1/2" bread pan instead of 2 cups. I also add a bit more baking powder and end up with a nice dome on the loaf. The only thing I can't quite figure out is why the bread turns out so dark (inside and out) up to the top of the loaf pan, then lightens on the dome of the loaf. It's a Calphalon non-stick pan. I've baked in dark, non-stick pans before and the bread didn't turn dark in the pan...? Oh, well - not the greatest looking bread, but it works for me! This was not just a craving for me - I've lost a lot of weight not eating bread. Most days it's hard for me to come home from work and try to think up something to cook for lunch the next day. Now I can get creative with sandwiches - just in time for summer!

  Thanks to everyone who has given me support and encouragement over the years....

  Cheers,
  Ayn in Alabama