Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 18:25:44 +0100

On 20 Aug 00, at 19:37, Dave Westheimer wrote:

> In two recent posts about the 9th International Symposium, Marge
> Johannemann has asserted that distilled alcohols are all GF, without
> providing corroborating evidence. With all due respect, I do not
> believe these claims are supported by any scientific evidence we
> currently have in hand.

<snip>

> If anyone can provide scientific research to specifically answer this
> critical question, please speak up. If not, I think it serves us ill
> to make broad assertions without corroboration.

To help clarify things - or confuse them, depending on
your point of view - the Food List, published by the
Coeliac Society in the UK and sent to all their members,
and which lists literally thousands of items of
manufactured food products which are GF, describes
"wines, spirits, liqueurs, cider, sherry and port" as - that's
right - Gluten Free. And I guess they've done their
homework.

Jeff in London, UK