From:
sandybill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Apr 2001 18:06:30 -0700

At 07:51 PM 4/28/01 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:

>sandybill wrote:
>
> >Thought I'd post to the list on this one since it keeps coming up like some
> >murdered body in a bad mystery :) You're right, Annato color is fine. It's
> >just the CSA (once again) that says it's suspect.
>
>Wrong. It has nothing to do with CSA. It comes from Ener-G Foods. The below
>is from my files. Note it lists Annatto COLOR. If just the word annatto is
>listed as an ingredient, then it is a seed that is GF. And the issue is
>that caramel color can be present. So I also included Ener-G Foods' piece
>on that. Don.

Thanks to Don Wiss for the correction of the origin of that error. It's
nice to know that when I shoot from the hip, as I am prone to do, someone
who knows more will correct the mistake. My wife fulfills that function off
list :)

Off list Don tells me he would feel safe when "annatto" is listed, but that
he personally would not feel safe eating it if it said "annatto color."
Sounds like good advice, especially for the very sensitive.

Scott Adams lists both in his safe columns at the URL I posted, so there
may be a very slight difference of opinion here. I'd defer to either or
both of them; they both know considerably more than I do. And Don does say
it would be his "personal" choice so it's a minor difference anyway. I just
like a list like this where we can hear different points of view and dopey
mistakes get cleared up rapidly :) -vance