From:
Joan Wroblewski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 00:30:05 EST

Thanks to all 10 people who responded regarding white granulated sugar.

Half of the respondents believe it is gluten free.

One said: "By good sugar......doesn't common sense tell you there is no
reason for wheat to be in sugar"

Another responded: ....."I have never heard of sugar being a problem
and there's lots of sugar in Bette Hagman's and other cookbooks with
never a warning."

Also, from Bev (MILSC), "White granulated sugar is g.f.  and should contain
no protein--the toxic gliadin in grains is a protein....a quick call to the
manufacturer would tell you if it's cane or beet sugar....I've never met
anyone who was bothered by cane vs.  beet sugar--I've had celiac 18 years &
field questions from our new group members."

Other responses were:

>Not all GF....got sick......discovered POWDERED sugar has wheat added to
prevent clumping....decided wheat dust in building where packaging

>C&H brand sugars are listed.....as being GF....have just stuck with
them....Common sense would dictate white and powdered sugars would be ok,
just brown would be a problem, but I' ve learned that common sense doesn't
always mean anything with CD

>As far as I know all sugar is ok. However - be careful with
confectioner's sugar - it sometimes has starch added to get
a more powdery texture.

>...several years ago I recall hearing or watching how to make
sugar...think they use charcoal as a purifier....will have to
check charcoal more thorouly.

>....I do know beet sugar I can not handle......but cane sugar
and maple sugar I can handle.

I appreciate your input.....thanks again. Joan in Illinois