From:
Pat Shechter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 09:23:32 -0400

Hello, Everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone who has both Celiac Disease and Hypothyroidism
has experienced a difference between thyroid hormones Synthroid and
Levoxyl.  From the research I have done through the list archives, both
are gluten-free.  However, I have been on both, and something in the
generic -- Levoxyl -- upset my system (I felt bloated, much more tired,
and generally "out of sorts"), while I experienced nothing like that on
Synthroid, which is the name brand.  The inactive ingredients in each
differ somewhat, so I suspect that that is where the problem originated.
 I know that both have lactose in them, so I don't think that was the
problem, even though I am lactose-intolerant, because I feel much better
on the Synthroid (which is what I am on once again).  My diet has been
gluten-free and stayed the same for over 2 years now, ever since my
diagnosis.

Has anyone on the list had a similar experience, feeling better on one
formulation of thyroid hormone than on the other?  Thanks in advance for
your responses!

Pat (Patricia) Shechter
Boston, MA

Email:           [log in to unmask]