From:
Joanna Schroeder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joanna Schroeder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 20:20:27 -0700

Most people were confused about both Snickers and Butterfinger.
Snickers full-size and mini candy bars ARE GF!  The new ROUND ONES are called "Poppables" and are NOT gluten free.  So eat Snickers only if they're square or rectangular.

Butterfinger is made by Nestle and they have a policy of listing gluten on their wrappers.  Therefore, all sizes/shapes of BUtterfinger would be GF by their standards.  I will include the letter they sent me below, so that everyone knows by which standards this "GF Status" is set.

Everyone agreed that my boyfriend is, again, the kindest guy alive.

Here's the Nestle letter:
***
April 22, 2003
Dear Ms. Schroeder,
Thank you for contacting us.  Your comments regarding Nestlé® Butterfinger® are very important to
us.
In regards to your inquiry, there are eight major food allergens, including milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts
(such as walnuts and almonds), soy, wheat, fish and shellfish.  Labeling regulation requires that all
ingredients added to products be listed in the ingredient statement.  For these eight major allergens,
Nestlé ensures that they are labeled, regardless of the amount or whether a supplier may have added it
to their ingredient.  It is the responsibility of Nestlé to ensure that these ingredients are properly labeled
by their common or usual name in the ingredient statement.
We want to help our consumers avoid inadvertent ingestion of their specific allergens of concern by
accurately informing them about the product ingredients and by following Good Manufacturing
Practices in our factories.  All factories using a critical allergen as an ingredient must take all
reasonable precautions to avoid cross-contact of products that do not normally contain these allergens
and products that do not carry a specific mention in the ingredient statement.  These precautionary
measures include efficient cleaning of production lines and equipment and strict separation of
materials that may contain critical allergens.  If an allergen does not appear on the ingredient
statement, then it has not been added to the product and the likelihood of cross-contamination contact
is so extremely low that the risk is insignificant.
We appreciate the opportunity to be of service to you and hope your inquiry was handled to your
satisfaction.

Sincerely,
Marisa Pauska
Consumer Response Representative