From:
Ken and Janet Atkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 1997 22:22:31 -0800

     I'd like to add my two bits about whether it is okay to skip the biopsy
if the diagnosis is pretty certain.  If you are not GF, or if you have only been
GF for a short period of time, DO IT.

     I started the GF diet "on my own" two years ago.  I had immediate positive
results, so I asked my doctor if I could be tested for CD.  I happened to be
newly pregnant at the time (a small miracle considering the terrible shape I was
in).  My doctor told me it wasn't good to be doing a lot of testing, etc.  while
I was pregnant so I should wait til after the baby came.

     After baby was born, I again looked into testing, this time reading info on
the Net.  Realizing that the tests wouldn't be accurate since I'd been GF for 9
months, and not wanting to go back on the gluten diet, I waited until a few
months ago to try to get diagnosed.  My GI did the blood tests without a gluten
challenge.  The anti- endomysial IgA was a little high.  The gliadin test was
normal.  The doc then did a biopsy after a gluten challenge of one meal.  It was
normal.  Well of course!  I had been 1.5 years GF except for accidents, or
traces of gluten.  But the doc assured me I couldn't have CD.

     So I decided to go ahead and eat gluten for a while and then try again.
This lasted three days, til I was so sick I gave up.

     What this means is that even though I have had "classic" symptoms my whole
life, and I responded well to the GF diet, and the symptoms come back worse now,
when I have even traces of gluten, no one takes me seriously.  I would like to
get my children tested, but I dread the process of finding a doctor to test
them.  Family members think I'm a hypochondriac.  Even my husband was a doubter
until recently, because I am still really run down (even though my digestive
symptoms are better.)  It has been reading this list that has finally convinced
my husband.  I have gotten so much confirmation and useful information here.
For instance, my husband used to wonder why Rice Dream and vinegar bugged me,
since they (supposedly) didn't have gluten.  Now he knows.

     I would love to have the opportunity to go back and do it over again.  I'd
search for a doctor to do a biopsy before starting the diet.  I realize that
others may have differing opinions, feel free.  I don't want to tell anyone what
to do.  But I did want to let you know that I am one person who is very sorry
for having not gotten the biopsy done.

Janet
Olympia, WA