From:
Jennifer DeBiase <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jennifer DeBiase <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Nov 2005 19:27:13 -0500

As many of you know, on Tuesday of this week (Nov. 15, 2005) I opened a
bag of Wheat Free Gluten Free Chaos Chips and found pretzels (which were
NOT Gluten Free). I contacted the company (Roberts American Gourmet) and
spoke to a receptionist who said a replacement coupon would be sent,
which I was not happy about. Later that evening I received a call from
the office manager, apologizing for the error, and to send the bag to
her for evaluation. I took photos of the bag and its contents, as per
the list mates, and I received the call tag last night. Today I received
a call from the manager at Robert's American Gourmet apologizing for the
error. Here is what transpired in the call:

She stated that they hire a company to produce these products. She said
that the Gluten free products are never run on the same day as the
products with gluten. In this instance, the products were run on the
same day. She stated that 153 cases were contaminated, all of which the
sell by date was March 28, 2006. She called all of the distributors and
sales reps that these products went to and ordered a voluntary recall.

When I asked about contacting the FDA, she stated that the distributor
told her that that was not necessary. I was a little uneasy with this.
She stated that they were able to contact the distributors and the sales
rep in 1 1/2 days and posted a letter on their website. She was very
apologetic. She stated that she did speak to the receptionist that
initially took my call and that the call should have been handled
differently. She said she would send me a replacement coupon but I told
her that I was uneasy buying her products and really didn't trust the
company anymore. It's my daughter's health, I just can't risk that. I
also said that I had posted to this listserv and she said she did know
about it. So I am sure she is reading this. :)

In saying that, I appreciate that she was receptive and was able to
contact the distributors to get the bags off of the shelf. My husband
wanted something more done, but there is not much more we can do here,
but be on our guard with everything we either eat or give to our
children. If you have a bag with this sell by date, PLEASE contact the
company immediatly. Prior to receiving the call from the company, I
called the FDA on my own because I wanted to get the products off of the
shelves as soon as possible. They returned my call and I was not home. I
returned their call and they were gone for the day. I intend to tell
them that the company did do a voluntary recall and that the supervisor
was very apologetic. I, of course after the phone call thought,
shouldn't this be a mandatory recall? not sure.

As an aside, when I got the mail today, there was a form letter from the
company with two coupons in it for a free replacement bag. My name was
not on the letter and it wasn't signed. Must have been from the
receptionist.

Jennifer
Mom of 3yr old Celiac
NJ