From:
Richard Lovegrove <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 11:19:46 -0500

I asked if the prescription medication Levsin SL is GF. Most people who
replied asked me to summarize, so here it is.

The first person who wrote is a pharmacist and he told me that without a
doubt Levsin is GF. This web site also says Levsin is GF.
www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/2679/gluten.html. I can't say how
recent the info is. Another person wrote to say she was taking it and
had had no problems.

Another person then wrote and said she checked it out with the company and
she didn't think it was GF. She in on Bentyl. So I called the company. The
woman I talked to told me that while they didn't guarantee GF status
because they did not test the product for gluten, the only gluten in it
that they knew of was from corn.

Bottom line for me is that I would take Levsin.

One more cautionary tale here. Those of you more experienced with celiac
than I probably already know this, but this is the first time I've gotten a
prescription drug since I was diagnosed. Because the doctor did not specify
not to substitute for Levsin, and because the pharmacy did not yet have a
note that I was celiac, the pharmacist automatically gave me a generic
substitute (hyoscyamine sulfate by Kremers Urban, NDC# 62175-0102-01) and
now I have to find out if THAT is GF. If not, I can get Levsin but HMO
probably will have to approve it. Groan.

Thanks for the help.

Richard in the U.S.