From:
Diane H Moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Diane H Moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2007 15:48:19 -0500

To all
I just want to add my 2 cents.
I think when reading these studies, it is important to think about who
they actually study.  The people studied are all volunteers.  Those of us
who know that we react very severely to minute amounts of gluten would
not consider volunteering for a study where we would knowingly be given
gluten.  My sister, for example, who has unknowingly been served dishes
made with gluten, rather than the gluten-free version she was told, may
end up with a minor stomach ache later, and that is gone within a few
hours.  She has voiced her willingness to volunteer for such studies.  I
think we need to remember that celiac disease manifests itself
differently in everyone, and I will agree 100% that for many of us 50mg
of gluten per day will cause major damage, distress, and possibly for
some of us, death.  Therefore, I also agree that we need to take these
studies with a grain of salt and read between the lines.  Unfortunately,
it is studies like these that public policy will be based on.
I would appreciate hearing others opinions on this subject.
I would also appreciate someone more skilled in the conversion to place
50mg of gluten in the context of actual food, i.e., what % of a slice of
bread or measure of flour is this?
Thanks
Diane
Denver