From:
Chloe Macy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 18:29:33 -0400

Dear List,

I hope I can shed some light on the dried fruit discussion.
I manage a bulk foods department in a natural foods store.  Many of
the dried items come without any starch added.  Those that have
been dusted should be be listed on their box. If you have questions
about the products offered in your area, ask the clerk in the depart-
ment about it.  If they can't supply the answer, the wholesale company
should have a complete run down on every item.

This information should be checked regularly because many dried
fruits are "bulk commodities", meaning that they are brought in
from different sources, depending on cost, quality, and supply.
The papaya we offer is not dusted with flour, neither are the dates.
Everything treated with an additive (not part of the natural fruit)
is listed in the label on the bin.

Good Luck,

Gwynneth