From:
Carolyn Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carolyn Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2006 22:30:42 -0500

Thanks very much to everyone who replied to my inquiry about bread
machines and electric mixers.  Everyone loves their mixers and uses them
very often not just for bread, but for cookies, cakes, and all sorts of
yummy creations which consistently turn out very well.   While some
people did like their bread machines, others said they did not get good
results with GF bread -- even with machines that had GF settings.  A
number of people said they had put their bread makers in the basement or
the garage, and one even said she gave it to Goodwill!  Re:  mixers,
almost everyone recommended a Kitchen-Aid.

Here are some excerpts from the replies...

- the final result was to get a 375 watt mixer with tilt head.   It
comes with a whisking type beater, a regular beater for heavier things
and a dough hook.    I use the whisking one on lightweight stuff light
meringues or cake mixes, and never use the dough hook.  I make the Bread
from Anna and all I need is the beater for heavier things.    I feel I
made the best decision I could have ever made.   Not only do I use it
for bread, but after 35 years of using nothing but hand mixers, this
thing was Heaven.   I ended up really liking to bake.  Meringue cookies
were a snap.   Everything was.   So I got more for my money.

- I have both. The breadmaker has been moved to the garage. My Kitchen-
Aid mixer is in daily use, and it can do a lot more than just bake
bread. My advice: skip the breadmaker, and buy the biggest, most
powerful mixer you can afford. Bread made in the Kitchen-Aid and baked
in the oven comes out a lot better than bradmaker bread, too (and I've
owned 2 breadmakers). For wheat-bread, the breadmaker is a great
convenience, but I've found that it's not worth the hassle of setting up
and cleaning it for GF loaves.

- I have a Kitchen Aid mixer adn it is amazing.

- Unless you're making non-GF bread, a dough hook isn't used for our
bread. I had a bread machine when I was first diagnosed - and have since
switched to a table-top mixer (Kitchen Aid). By far, the mixer has been
a much better tool for me in making bread. Too, the heavy duty mixer can
be used for other things.  Of all of the mixes I've used, they all
turned out better baked in the oven.

- I have the Cuisanart bread machine w/a GF menu setting. Of course, you
still have to scrap the corners for the first few minutes to make sure
it's all moistened. Works well, except for the crust. If you set it for
light crust, 1 1/2 lb loaf, it still gets too dark. If I remember, I
take it out a few minutes early. Lately I've been setting it on light
crust, 2 lb loaf, for the full baking time, that is better. Having the
GF setting is definitely a step up in the quality of the bread.

-The bread machine is less time for prep, as you just dump the
ingredients in the bread machine. But it takes longer to bake, then you
have to remove the paddles if you don't want holes in the bread. If you
get a bread machine, make sure it is one which makes the flat loaf
instead of the one which the bread stands on end. The best one is the
Zojirushi, but Younker's carries, I think a cuisanart for around $89.00
which has the GF setting on it. I have a professional Kitchen Aid with
500 watts. But, you don't need any more than 325 watts with the Kitchen
Aid. It is the single paddle which makes the difference when using GF
mixes.

-  I have a kitchenAid Mixer that I bought 10 years ago and I love it.
I do have to watch the dough, but find we need rolls, crusts, French
bread and with the mixer we get some variety.  My daughter has a bread
machine, I don't know what kind, and she likes it but we do have to
assist with original mix and sometimes bake longer than cycle.

-I have both and always loved my bread machine until I went GF. Now I
seem to have better luck with doing it without the bread machine ---so
I'd say get the big mixer with dough hook! Maybe if I play around with
the bread machine for a lot longer I'll get it right but so far I'm not
happy--- and I even bought a new one so it would be GF. I've always been
a BIG baker (40 years) and have really loved the bread machine until
now.

- would not hesitate to buy a KitchenAid mixer, the best quality you
could afford. You can make way more than bread with the KA and the
breads are as good in the oven.

- I actually have both and I use the bread maker as it allows the dough
to proof at a reasonable temperature, well above that at which we keep
our house. I never cook inside the breadmaker. I would look for a model
that allows you to prepare the dough without cooking. I would also
consider the volume of the inner container (for lack of a specialized
term).

- I have both a bread machine and a kitchen aid mixer and don't think
life would go smoothly without either one....I don't use the mixer for
making bread and I don't think the dough hook works with gf recipes (at
least that's what I've heard). I use the mixer for everything else -
muffins, cakes, cookies, brownies, rolls, pizza dough, etc. What I love
about it is that is does the mixing while I'm reading the recipe and
measuring - cuts prep time in half.  I  use the bread machine just for
bread - I mix everything by hand first, because that's what I was told
to do for good gf bread. I use the rapid cycle. My machine does not have
a special gf cycle; I owned it before we went gf. Once I pop everything
in and turn it on I can walk out of the house and know that in three
hours we will have fresh baked bread.

- I got the mixer because it can be used for a lot of things, but my
daughter got the breadmachine because it's very convenient.

- I used to use the bread machine all the time, but it is so much faster
in the oven. If getting a bread machine, get on with the GF setting on
it, as GF bread does not to have two rise cycles. I love my Kitchen Aid
mixer. I will tell you with GF mixing you will not use the bread hook.

-Tossed my bread maker in the goodwill bag. I use my Kitchen Aid almost
everyday for baking but I never use the dough hook.

- Carolyn