From:
Rita Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rita Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2006 19:51:00 -0500

First Watch: Several locations - GF menu on the Internet. www.firstwatch.com ......I wasn’t aware that if you mention that you can’t eat the roll, they will substitute fruit or some side dish.

stlouisalerts member wrote: "First Watch on Kirkwood Road in Kirkwood has a list at the front desk of GF items, see Dave the manager. They welcome you bringing in your own GF bread for sandwiches, etc. and have many items that are GF. The bacon onion skillet is delicious, just ask: "No English Muffin, please substitute
an extra fruit, thank you." 5/06

Fitzgerald’s Irish Grill 3660 S. Lindberg, Sunset Hills. 984-0026 - great corned beef and cabbage; grilled chicken, baked potato, veggies. (did ask for nothing but lemon on the side with grilled chicken)

Fitz,s: 6605 Delmar, University City, 63130, 726-9555 - "Our family has successfully eaten there often this past year. The kitchen managers are very nice. In fact the first time I approached them they told me they are used to accommodating a family whose child has many different intolerances. They bake our french fries rather than dealing with the oil issue and serve us hamburgers without buns. Usually it takes an extra few minutes to be served so we usually target slower times, late lunches or early dinners. I wouldn't recommend eating there in the height of their rush because they get too backed up" 11/05 "Fitz's is great. It's best to go when crowds aren't heavy. We go on the earlier side of meal times and they bake our french fries on foil lined pans and fry our burgers on the grill safely. They serve it all w/out bread and we've done that for over a year now with no problems". 5/06
.
Flemings Steak House: 1855 S. Lindberg in Plaza Frontenac. 567-7610 - Go to www.flemingssteakhouse,com/menu/htm for their Gluten-Free menu. Very expensive, but nice to know we will not get ‘glutenized’ at a special event.

Fortel’s Pizza Den: 15483 Clayton Rd., Ballwin 636-386-7199 - Manager, Kelly, suggests bringing along parchment paper to bake pizza along with your pizza crust as their parchment paper may have some flour on it. Great toppings!

Fortel’s Pizza Den: 54 Legends Parkway, 63025, 636-549-0014 - Bring in your GF crust and they will bake and add toppings. Ask for Laura, the manager or Angel (who actually taught Laura about Celiac Disease).

Fuddrucker’s: Several locations - Written up by Bob Levy (Bob and Ruth’s GF Dining Club)..I’m not sure how legal it is for me to list all of their GF selections. May I generalize to include grilled meat, hot dogs, French fries, chili and baked beans.

Hard Rock Café: 450 St. Louis Union Station,63103 621-7625: Chicken wings, potato skins, spring rolls, Haystack Salad with house dressing, no tortilla straws; Grilled Chinese Chicken salad with house dressing and no chow mein noodles, Char-Grilled New York strip with no gravy on the mashed potatoes and no onion frizzles

Hardee’s: Many locations - Announced 12/03 that they would be serving hamburgers wrapped in lettuce leaves for those on low carb diets! Thank you, Dr. Atkins! (The low carb hamburgers are delicious!) From what I can gather, their low crab chicken and Breakfast Bowl are not GF. French fries are GF, but check on dedicated fryer!

Harry’s West: 15415 Clayton Rd., Ballwin 636-256-0221 - Great chef who will help select GF items. Beef with wine sauce is expensive but well worth it.

Hacienda: 9748 Manchester, 962-7100 - Mixed reviews. Nachos are definitely corn made in a dedicated fryer. One person was told that the Quesadillas with corn tortillas were GF. Another ordered chicken enchiladas with guacamole and sour cream. However still another wrote, "when I asked about the hamburger she said sometimes it would be fine and sometimes not as they couldn't be sure how it was prepared. Unusual answer, I thought. Another time I visited the restaurant and they really couldn't help me." 11/05

Hunan and Peking Garden: 1262 Old Orchard Center on Manchester, 636-227-6445 - Server was very helpful. Said that they would have GF soy sauce in the future.

IHOP: Several locations Caution: omelet batter contains flour as do the buckwheat pancakes. Suggest fresh eggs, most breakfast meats, fruits, tossed salad, baked potato, hamburger patties, grilled cod (prepared without flour)

Il Vicino - 41 N. Central, Clayton 727-1333 - Marvelous salads plus fabulous flourless chocolate cake.

Indian Restaurants: I have lumped together suggestions regarding two Indian restaurants in the area. "I've eaten at India Rasio in the West End and the wonderful India Palace at the top of the Howard Johnson's by the airport and neither have made me sick. I had asked a co-worker of mine who is from India and she said they use mostly lentil flour. Of course, you can't eat their Naan which is really heartbreaking because it is so good but both places have English speaking staff and will help. I've found a few of the waiters at India Rasoi to be a bit catankerous but I just keep up the questions anyway. Hope this helps. I love Indian food and am so happy that most of it is fine".
J Bucks: In Clayton & Westfield Shopping Center - "My husband and I had a fabulous experience at J Buck’s. This time we were in Clayton and they did everything they could to be helpful and considerate. They put croutons in a little side dish so my husband could use them and they wouldn't touch the rest of the salad, and even brought the breadstick on a side plate. I've been to the Westfield West county one, too, and had a good experience. My old roommate, Tim, is the head chef there so he took good care of us".

Jack-in-the-Box: Several locations - Chicken breast fillet, chili, fried egg, hamburger, julienne chicken, pork sausage, rice. No French fries or hash browns.

Juniper Grill: 1928 S. 12th; 621-9195 in the Soulard Area. "Dinner last night at the Juniper Grill was marvelous. They absolutely knew about Gluten - well, they called it an allergy, but that's O. K. with me. As long as they know we CANNOT eat Gluten, that's all I care about. I had the scallops which they assured me were prepared with corn starch. They were excellent". If you go on a Saturday night, be sure to make reservations! They say they have several customers who are 'allergic' to Gluten. You can go to their web-site: www.juniper-grill.com for their full menu".

KFC: Many locations. Nothing Gluten Free on their web site except: lettuce, tomatoes, corn on the cob, etc. I had hoped that their broiled chicken would be GF, but no luck! 5/06

Kreis’ Restaurant: 535 S. Lindbergh, 63141, 993-0735. "I had a horrible experience there since being diagnosed; so when invited to a party recently, I called early in the day and I was transferred to their office where I was given a fairly long list of their gluten-free items. At dinner the waiter knew that I had called and I was treated beautifully. When you call for a reservation, check with the office. My dinner (scallops, of course - my weakness) was delicious". 3/06

Lemp Mansion: 3322 DeMenil Pl. St. Louis City 664-8024 - ‘Patti’ prepared a gluten free dinner for one of our stlouisalerts. She was served tilapia, fresh steamed veggies, dinner salad and ice cream. Patti was very helpful. Call first.

Lewis and Clark Restaurant: 217 Main St., St. Charles 636-947-3334 - Baked potato with sour cream and butter, red beans and rice, steamed veggies. May be other GF items, but you can make a meal out of these sides. Sit on the outside top balcony and enjoy.