From:
Amy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 21:42:23 +0000

Here's more 2 cents about people blowing off the GF diet as "easy" or
something...Laura's post reflected my experience, that people around me
really overreact in some ways. For instance, my mother told me not to
have my sons or myself present anytime around meal times during a family
get-together over a week last fall. The stress of trying to think of
meals that don't rely on mixes or cream of mushroom soup was simply too
much, and she didn't want to be embarrassed about our not being able to
eat what everyone else does.

It took a long time, and several heated discussions with my Dad, before
she's agreed to let me do the cooking and meal planning when we have
lots of family coming into town.

But my doing the cooking is a great way to "evangelize" the rest of the
family, who exhibit subclinical symptoms, and are scared to go GF
because Mom thought it was so hard. And it keeps me safe from celiac
moments...

I think that the key to my recovery has been that I've been more
grateful that the "answer" is "just dietary," and doesn't require mucho
money, doctors, drugs, etc. to be effective. Being healthy makes all the
changes, quirks, pale in comparison.

Amy