From:
Chris Aster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 15:34:40 EST

Dear Listmembers,

       Awhile back, several people wrote in to ask whether the chlorine
in swimming pools was GF.  One parent, I think, said that his/her child
had diarrhea often after swimming and swallowing some water.  I think I
have the definitive answer as to why this happens:  The following is
taken directly from "Health News" from the publishers of the New England
Journal of Medicine, which I get every month: "Don't Drink the Water
Accidentally swallowing just a few mouthfuls of swimming pool water puts
you at risk for a severe bout of gastrointestinal distress, the federal
government warned in May following recent outbreaks among public-pool
users.  Such outbreaks are occurring more frequently.  The risk stems
from a parasite called cryptosporidium, which can infest even well-
chlorinated pool water contaminated by feces.  Symptoms include loss of
appetite, diarrhea, stomach cramps, and vomiting.  To steer clear of
sickness from "crypto" and other waterborne germs, avoid swallowing pool
water.  And to prevent putting others at risk, keep toddlers out of the
pool when they have diarrhea, and wash your hands with soap and water
after using the bathroom and after changing diapers."

       Just FYI.

       Chris
       Sarasota, FL USA