From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 1998 22:22:29 -0600

Hi Sally,
I'm answering you on the list, as I think this is a very important issue.

At 11:01 PM 7/1/1998 -0400, you wrote:

>I'm newly diagnosed w/ CD and was wondering how important this issue is.
>If I get a crumb on some gf bread from the toaster, is this really
>harmful?

If you are as lucky as I am, when you have lost your tolerance to gluten, a
little crumb like that will make you sick. If you are like many unlucky
celiacs, you will not have a reaction, and will always be guessing, or
following the experts' guesses as to what the minimum safe amount of gluten
is.

I know that the slightest amount of gluten will make me sick. I suspect
that if it is giving me symptoms, it is also likely to cause damage to my
body. So, I avoid the slightest bit of cross contamination.

May I suggest that you follow a very strict diet for the first few months,
then consider the issues in the debate in light of your own response to
being strict. I also suggest that you then ask yourself if you really want
to jeopardize the way you feel.

I hope that is helpful.
best wishes,
Ron