From:
Suzanne Findlay <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Suzanne Findlay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 19:58:36 +0800

Thank you for all those who responded to my post on dental anaesthetic.
It didn't strike a chord with most as being directly related to CD.

I had been reading the responses on dental floss and now wonder if
gluten is the cause of my reaction to anaesthetic during dental
treatment.

I wanted to have all my amalgam removed and replaced with porcelain but
had to abandon the process because I neutralized the anaesthetic and
needed additional injections, which still didn't help numb me. For days
afterwards I was sick as a dog - slow, headachy, and sore. The dentist
had never seen anything like it. Needless I stopped the process and
haven't quite had the courage to go back.

Does anybody share the same problem? Does anybody know if gluten is used
in anaesthetics, maybe as a filler or carrier?

Below is a summary of the responses.
Sue
----------------------------------

Did you take a lot of Vitamin C before and during the time the dental
procedure was being done?  I understand it will neutralize dental
anesthesia.  For myself, I am very sensitive to the adrenalin in the
long-acting dental anesthesia, and the dentist must use the short-acting

kind, or I am woozy the rest of the day.  I don't feel well after a trip
the dentist anyway.  There are many chemicals in the air there.  There
may
be something else you were exposed to.  Do you always have this reaction

when a filling is being placed?
----------------------------------

Did you get any of the amalgams out before you had to stop? If so, the
mercury could be making you feel bad. Make sure your dentist uses a
vacuum and a dam so that you don't inhale any fumes. Supposedly even
when they do this, you still get a little mercury. Saunas, chlorella and
MSM all help detox mercury
----------------------------------

I also have a bad reaction to the regular dental injections which
consist of Lidocaine and epinephrine.  As I develop severe tachycardia
within seconds of being given anything containing even the smallest
amounts of epinephrine I have my dentist give me carbocaine, an
injection which DOES NOT contain epinephrine.  The only side effect I
get is a mild headache for a day or so afterward.  Epinephrine is a
vasoactive substance which causes problems for sensitive individuals.
Epinephrine causes vaso constriction, which helps stop any bleeding
around the area where the dentist is working, it also allows the
injection area to get numb faster and stay that way longer.
Unfortunately for those of us sensitive to vasoactive amines, it has a
number of nasty side effects.

Some of the more common side effects to substances containing vasoactive
amines are as follows: Tachycardia (rapid heartbeat), irregular
heartbeat, shakiness, tingling in hands, anxiety, nausea, vomiting,
headache, stomachache, diarrhea and increase in blood pressure.  The
good side effects are improved breathing (epinephrine like medications
are used to treat
asthma) and increased energy.  As epinephrine is a stimulant you can
feel tired and/or washed out for a day or so afterward.  More sensitive
individuals may develop migraines for days afterward.

Vasoactive amines can be found in a great many foods and reactions to
them can mimic allergy.  NOTE: the longer meat and fish age, the higher
the amine levels. Fresh meat contains virtually no amines. Effects may
vary, however, ALL foods containing these amines have the ability to
cause a whole constellation of uncomfortable symptoms.

Here's a partial list of vaso active foods, medications and substances:
serotonin, tryptamine, dopamine, norepinephrine, avocado, banana,
cabbage, plum, orange, pineapple, wine, pickled herring, fermented
cheese, seafood, salt dried fish, honey, tomatoes, dextrose, caffeine,
chocolate (contains Phenylethylamine which makes us feel good and the
stimulant theobromine, which is lethal to dogs), most teas, Kava Kava,
and ginseng.

A link containing information on foods containing vasoactive amines,
their side effects, and how to avoid them is located at:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/allergydietitian/fi/FI_FS_amines.html

Vasoactive amines should not to be confused with thermogenic foods,
(e.g. foods which increase your metabolism) which can also trigger
similar reactions in sensitive individuals.
----------------------------------

I have posted information on GF dental products before.
The following are GF dental anesthetics, according to their
manufacturers, at least:
3% Polocaine
3% Carbocaine
3% Lidocaine
The above are local injections.

Topical:
Hurricane gel
Hurricane spray
Benzojel
or the gloves, or the mouthwash, or the meds......take your pick
----------------------------------
These symptoms sound more like MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivities) -
you may want to do a search on this.  I know personally I can't handle
any injections or even medications.
So people react poorly to the "deadening" shots they give and I think it
is more of a drug reaction. I've heard my non-celiac aquaintences talk
about adverse reactions to things at the dentist too. You might ask them
to give you another type of deadening shot--maybe you could research the
drug manufacturer's ingredient list  before you go in to be sure there
is no gluten. Gosh, that is too bad! It's bad enough having your teeth
worked on anyway!