From:
Carole Cummins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 1997 12:06:04 GMT

Here is a summary of the replies I've had on donut recipes - thank you
everyone..  I haven't tried them out yet.  I'm from Birmingham,
England - I had two replies from people in Alabama hoping to find out
about local support groups, places to eat, and so on.  Is there anyone
out there who help?

This is a recipe that our kids made in kindergarten class.  I changed
the flour but everything else remained the same.  They turned out
well. Apple Doughnuts
 3 1/2 c. flour mix
 3 tsp. baking powder
 1 tsp. salt
 2 eggs
 1 c. sugar
 2 Tbsp. melted shortening
 1 c. peeled and grated apples
 2/3 c. milk
 1 tsp. vanilla
 Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Beat eggs
 with sugar. Add shortening; mix well. Combine
 apples, milk and vanilla. Add to egg mixture. Stir into
 dry ingredients. Roll dough a portion at a time into a
 6" snake about 1" thick. Join ends and pinch. Fry in
 medium hot oil. Turn with tongs as soon as they rise,
 then frequently until evenly browned. Sprinkle with
 powdered sugar.

I use the same donut recipe from Betty Hagman's 'More from the
Gluten-Free Gourmet' cookbook, pages 89/90.  I use less warm water in
mine because I have a mini-donut maker.  It looks a lot like a waffle
iron - and makes 6 mini donuts in just a minute or less.  For this
reason I make my mix thicker so that it will pour into the donut
molds.  I also like the way they taste now that I have started
substituting some bean flour for some of the GF mix.

My 5yr old son just had donuts for his kindergarten snack.  Luckily I
have been making them for him for about 3 years.    The recipe I like
is from Betty Hagman's cookbook More From The Gluten Free Gourmet.  I
have adapted it a little so that I can pour a thick paste like dough
into a mini-donut maker I bought when I first started making them.
  (The donut maker is about the size of a Waffle Iron and is shaped like a
donut and white in color.  It is made by Maxim - I have seen them in
stores around christmas time - but I ordered mine from a mail order
kitchen supply shop.  It is well worth it! )
    The donut recipe is on pages 89/90.
For my donut maker I use the raised doughnuts
recipe and reduce the amount of lukewarm water.  I also use bean flour
for some of the GF flour mix (which is mainly rice flour).  This seems
to help the flavor and density.  I dust mine with sugar and cinnamon
while they are hot! Will (my 5yr old) loves them.

Authentic Foods has a Kosher Donut mix, gluten free and wheat
free.  They are located in Los Angeles, Calif.  Their telephone number
is 310-366-7612.  It makes a terrific donut.
Dr Carole Cummins
Lecturer
Department of Public Health and Epidemiology
University of Birmingham
Tel: 0121 - 414 3243
Fax: 0121 - 472 1122