From:
Nancy Garniez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 1999 09:59:31 -0400

Dear List:
I recently experienced, for the third time in my life, an episode of
constant bruising, joint pain, swelling of the feet and ankles, and a
general lack of energy.  This time there were differences:  I was just
finishing radiation therapy (which might cause low platelets) and also
had just increased my intake of soy, in the hope that it would act as an
estrogen block.

Blood work done by a hematologist revealed slight traces of the antibody
that destroys platelets in one's own blood.  In desperation, I asked him
if there were nutritional guidelines to prevent this condition.  He said
to avoid taking Vitamin E supplements.  Looking up vitamin E I find that
there is lots of it in soy.

Yet another Eureka.

It is another instance of what plagues many of us on this list:
disturbing symptoms with mysterious causes that do not show up on the
type of tests that are standard diagnostic tools.

Thanks to everyone who contributes to this list.  It has been very
helpful in putting two and two together--a useful skill, under the
circumstances. I will happily summarize any responses to this post.

Nancy in nyc