From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 1995 10:03:38 -0400

At 08:41 AM 7/31/95 -0500, Chris Tarski <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>                                              I noticed that
> some rice krispie bars that use peanut butter, butterscotch
>chips, and chocolate chips seems to have nothing in them that he can not eat.

A reminder to people new on the list. US food laws allow manufacturers to
not disclose ingredients of ingredients. In other words, you may have no
idea what is in the butterscotch chips or the chocolate chips. (Caramel
color?) You would have to call, and then trust that the company is fully
disclosing this info to you. Also Rice Krispies themselves are not GF as
they have malt flavoring.

> Only questionable ingredient in the chips is soy lecithin.  Is
>this an allowable substance?????????????

Have never heard otherwise. Except some celiacs are also tolerant to soy.
Here is a definiton of lecithin from my Webster's 7th New Collegiate:

[ISV, fr. Gk lekithos, yolk of an egg]: any of several waxy hygroscopic
phosphatides widely distributed in animals and plants that form colloidal
solutions in water and have emulsifying, wetting, and antioxidant
properties; also: a mixture of or substance rich in lecithins.

Don <[log in to unmask]> New York City