From:
TOM AND ANGIE SCHNEIDER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2001 22:30:38 -0700

Hi all - Sorry it has taken so long to post this summary, I hope that it
is as helpful to you as it was to me.  I made 22 quarts of spaghetti
sauce and now my freezer is full!  Just a note about the cost
effectiveness of making your own spaghetti sauce, 22 quarts of store
bought sauce at $1.99 each would have cost me $43.78.  I bought the
ingredients for my sauce (found the Hunts products at Costco) and spent
$26.13.  That's $1.19 a quart!!  I don't think I'll buy any from the
store again!  I'll post my recipe separately.  Here goes your

- McCormack spices and garlic powder are GF

- Use fresh garlic

- Use minced or crushed garlic in jars

- Garlic salt and powder may contain starch - check labels

- Penzey's Spice Company in Wisconsin produces pure spices, even the
iffy ones like cinnamon and ground mustard are GF, www.penzeys.com

- Durkee and Tones spices are the same company and are GF

- Costco Garlic Salt with no MSG added said to be safe

- Use fresh mushrooms

- Canned mushrooms okay but high in sodium

- Libbey's canned mushrooms are GF

- Great Value brand canned mushrooms from Wal-Mart are GF

- One person said that a nutritionist told her that celiacs cannot
handle mushrooms and since she has cut them out of her diet, she has had
no problems

- Frigo, Stella and Sorrento brand cheeses said to be GF

- Cabot's brand cheese, no gluten additives--processed and shredded
varieties GF too

- Kraft Mozzarella and Parmesan are okay

- Kraft -- one person said that they had a reaction

- Parmesan okay but grate your own blocks to guarantee purity, found in
dairy specialty case

- Parmesan -- one person said it is the hardest to find GF

- Pre-shredded cheeses -- check labels, some add wheat flour or starch
to prevent caking

- Mozzarella okay

- Ricotta cheese -- call to check source on vinegar, if from corn it's
okay

- Sub GF cottage cheese for Ricotta, you'll want a cottage cheese with
gelatine or cornstarch

- Cheese -- Gluten-Free Living magazine just did a comprehensive article
on cheese, call for a back issue

- Hunts plain tomato products -- paste, sauce, whole and stewed tomatoes

- Contadina tomato products -- regular plain, Italian, thick & zesty

- Del Monte tomato products (includes zesty diced tomatoes)

- DelGrosso tomato sauce

- Eden tomato sauce

- Albertson's tomato paste -- says only 'tomatoes' on ingredient list

- Albertson's GF store brand list on Abigail's site, has all of their GF
products!!

- Safeway brand canned tomato products -- according to Safeway, all are
GF (sauce, paste, diced, peeled)

- Progresso tomatoes

- Whole canned plum tomatoes from Italy

- Tomato products need to be pure and not contain HVP

- Classico prepared spaghetti sauce is GF and usually goes on sale

- Ragulettie prepared spaghetti sauce is GF

- Watch out for natural flavorings

- Call companies if there is a questionable ingredient

***Most importantly...Always CHECK, CHECK AND RE-CHECK LABELS!!***

Thanks for your help,
Angie in Vancouver, WA