From:
Karen Valderrama <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen Valderrama <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jul 2005 17:07:51 -0700

Hello Listmates,

I broke my right leg tripping down stairs June 25th,
compound fracture.  In the hospital 3-1/2 days,
surgery for it one day after the fracture.

I requested a gluten free diet and unfortunately had
nothing but trouble.  Never was able to talk to the
dietition, several unanswered calls.  One meal circled
'gluten free' included tri-beef steak with gravy, a
slice of white bread and a brownie.  The words 'gluten
free' elicited a kind of blank stare usually.  Oh how
much the dietition and all food staff need education,
need to know how important it is, to know what will
happen to us if the diet is not followed.

This was Good Samaritan Hospital in Los Angeles.

Karen V.