From:
Faye Macbeth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Faye Macbeth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 2004 21:32:40 -0800
<<Disclaimer: Verify this information before applying it to your
situation.>>

**
For mild heartburn I use papaya enzyme tablets. The brand I use is
American
Health
"Original Papaya Enzyme". They're chewable tablets and it says on the
label
that they are gluten free.

** Hi ,There is an alternative natural antacid but it is not the best
tasting stuff in the world.It is 1 teaspoon of Arm & hammer baking soda
disolved in water,Gluten free and works like a charm.

**
I like using papaya pills.  They even help with digestion and with gluten
accidents a bit
**
Try a little baking soda dissolved in water. About 1/4 teaspoon in a
half glass of water would be a good place to start. If you do this too
often though, you might be getting a lot of sodium. But this works great
for us, and usually stops the burn after the first dose
**
Peppermint herb tea and keifer both help with this. Of course, nothing has
helped more than a strict GF diet!
**
PhytoPharmica (ASA Enzymatic Therapy) makes a wonderful product that
works
great for preventing & eliminating heartburn without altering gastic
pH.
It's called HEARTBURN FREE.  Works like a charm.  One gel cap gives 48
hours
of relief.  When my esophagus was totally torn up from a serious case
of
food allergy related reflux, my naturopath prescribed Heartburn Free.
It
worked very well.

But, I'll emphasize here that it's important for you to find out WHY
you are
having heartburn.  The two most common causes are (1) food
sensitivities and
(2) hypochlorhydria.  If your heartburn is caused by food
sensitivities, you
need to remove that food from your diet in order to heal.  If it
because you
aren't producing enough stomach acid, you need to supplement with HCl.
I've
been taking 3 to 4 Thorne Bio-Gest capsules with every meal for several
years now.  Thorne Bio-Gest along with kefir has helped me over come
most of
my food sensitivities.
**
I forgot to tell you that Heartburn Free is available on-line, at some
pharmacies & naturopathic dispensaries and even a few health food
stores.
Prices vary widely so shop carefully.  It comes in a package of 10 gel
caps
that are to be taken once every other day.  My naturopath ordered me to
take
it every other day for a full 40 days, but I kept forgetting.  I got
well
after the first week or two.  I never did finish taking all of it.  I
know
one of the things that helped me get well is I strictly elliminated
every
allergenic food the naturopath told me to.  I don't think I would have
gotten well if I hadn't been as careful as I was.