From:
Tamara Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tamara Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2007 08:24:51 -0700

Earlier this month I spent a few days in and around Richmond, Virginia.  At every place I dined I had a fabulous experience and I want to share those places with all of you in the event you have a chance to visit them one day as well.

Can Can Brasserie (Downtown Richmond) - www.cancanbrasserie.com - A fabulous French restaurant.  The waitress completely understood the gluten issue and went over the menu with me to identify what I could eat or what could be modified to make it something I could eat.  When she was unsure (which was only once), she checked with the chef.  I had so many choices it was amazing, and very few things would have required modification other than excluding bread.  And I had five very yummy-sounding choices for desert.  I ended up getting the Peanut Butter Pyramid, which is a pyramid of peanut butter encased in chocolate, with a scoop of banana ice cream on one side and sliced banana drizzled with a sauce on the other side.  Dessert heaven!  For my meal I had coq au vin with haricot verts and fingerling potatoes.  It was delicious.  I highly recommend this restaurant!

Cheeseburger in Paradise (@ Lynnhaven Mall, Virginia Beach; 757-498-1518) - We went here because I had learned through this group that the chain has a gluten-free menu (and we don't have this chain in California).  I don't eat hamburgers, but I had a fabulous salad from the gf menu.

Charley's Steakery (@ Patrick Henry Mall, Newport News; 757-249-3700) - We didn't know anything about this restaurant, but it had a variety of foods on the menu that looked like I could eat as-is or with slight modification.  I took a chance and asked if they had a gluten-free menu.  Much to my surprise, they did have one.  It's not very extensive (at least on the lunch menu), but there were enough options to satisfy me, and both I and my dining partners enjoyed our meals, both gf and gluten-filled.

Bonefish Grill (@ Central Park Shopping Centre, Fredericksburg; 540-548-1984) - Another restaurant we went to because I had learned through this group that they have a gluten-free menu (and again, we don't have this chain in California, although we do have one of their sister chains, Outback Steakhouse).  The staff was very knowledgeable and helpful.  I had a delicious swordfish with garlic mashed potatoes.  I hope they open a restaurant in Northern California soon!

Gabriel Archer Tavern (@ Williamsburg Winery, Williamsburg; www.williamsburgwinery.com/gabriel-archer-tavern.htm) - I did not ask for a gf menu, but their regular menu does state "If you have any dietary restrictions or food allergies, please notify your wait staff. We would like to accommodate you with a fine meal."  I had one of the lunch salads, with their Raspberry Merlot Vinaigrette.  The vinaigrette definitely made the salad.  The tour and wine-tasting after lunch, in the Winery itself, rounded out the afternoon nicely.

Panera (www.panera.com/menu/cafe/salads.php) - I've never eaten at a Panera since going gf, since it is a bakery/cafe, but I took a chance at one in Richmond and had the Strawberry, Poppyseed and Chicken salad.  It was a delicious salad and I had no cross-contamination reaction (I am not particularly sensitive to cross-contamination, so dine here at your own discretion).  If you go to the link I included above, you can click on the name of each salad for a list of ingredients in each.

~Tamara in Sacramento, CA

*******
*******