From:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 May 1997 06:20:05 EDT

Colleen Kavanagh  <[log in to unmask]> asked:

>An earlier email message posted to the listserv said that Powerbars contain
>"oat gluten" and, thus, are not GF.  It is my understanding that the problem
>with oats for celiacs is cross contamination, and that oats themselves do not
>contain gluten. .... the reference to oat gluten confused me.
>Can anyone offer an insight into this?

Gluten is sometimes used in the food industry to refer to the protein portion
of any grains .. for example corn gluten.  It is the underlying grain, not the
name, which is the concern for us.

Oats remain controversial.  There is published research suggesting that if you
can find uncontaminated oats, they are safe.  However, most celiac experts urge
their patients to avoid oats until more research is done.  We have made an
excellent compilation of emails from our cel-pro experts available --- send the
command GET CELIAC GRAINS to the following address

Bill Elkus
Los Angeles