From:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2012 20:43:22 -0700

Dear List Mates,

This is the second part of the summary of responses.

Best regards,

Vic-Sunnyvale, CA

[Lundberg reply] It is so good to hear from a long time, informed consumer.

 I understand the issues you are facing based on the current news stories.

 We began testing our rice and rice products for arsenic at the beginning
of this year.  We have found an average of 95 ppb of inorganic arsenic from
a pool of 120 samples of all varieties of our rice and products.

Here is link to our 'Understanding Arsenic in Food' page on our website.
There are links to the current articles and current studies related to
arsenic in rice: http://www.lundberg.com/Info/Arsenic.aspx .

 Arsenic is present in the crust of the earth and is delivered to food
through water, the soil and air.  Rice, as well as vegetables and grains,
take up the arsenic from the soil and water.  Consumer Reports speculate
that fields that have previously grown cotton may have higher arsenic
levels because the cotton had been sprayed with arsenic based pesticides in
the past.  Arsenic based pesticides were outlawed in the eighties, though
the arsenic remains in the soil of those fields.  The land that our rice is
grown on, here in California, has never grown rice [sic].

Occasionally, when the demand for rice is more than our supply, we purchase
rice.  Outside rice is only packaged in 25 pound bags.  I see you often buy
bulk (25lb), look for the "Grown in California" it indicates the rice in
the bag has been grown in California. All of the rice used in our 1, 2 and
12 pound bags is grown in California.

Consumer Reports further stated that the arsenic content of white rice is
lower than brown rice, because the bran is removed to make white rice.
They also advise rinsing rice before cooing, which may reduce arsenic.

I hope this information helps you.  Please feel free to contact us if you
have any additional questions.

 Thank you,

Maryann

Lundberg Family Farms

LM: [Email to Lundberg] I think you have a typo and meant your fields have
never grown cotton? I have in the past avoided cottonseed oil in products
because I understand the pesticide load is worse since it is a nonfood crop
so I can understand what you are saying.

One more question, I usually buy white jasmine from you. I understood from
my celiac discussion list that basmati would have less arsenic.  Should I
think about buying your basmati or another variey instead of white
jasmine?  The stickiness of the jasmine makes it work better for gluten
free recipes, but if it makes a difference, I could switch.

[Lundberg reply]

Thank you so much!  Yes, I did mean our land has never grown COTTON.  Our
land most certainly does grow rice!  I really appreciate your getting back
to me and giving me the opportunity to correct my mistake.

Basmati and Jasmine are similar and are both considered to be Aromatic
rice.  I am not making any dietary recommendations; each individual must
make their own decisions.  The Consumer Report figures do indicate that in
their samplings, Basmati tested lower for arsenic.

Thank you,

Maryann

Lundberg Family Farms

LM: Yeah, but most of the arsenic is in the bran.  Moral of the story?  Eat
white rice. That said, the other gf grains are quite yummy, if more pricey.

V: Agree totally. We can have some rice if we eat a large variety of grains
- buckwheat, quinoa, and millet (new to me). Funny how we were told that we
must eat brown rice, eat margarine with trans-fats, etc. Odd that white
rice is now the thing.

LM: Thanks, Vic. I missed this report and am glad you posted it.

Catch the ugly irony in this paragraph:

“Extensive surveys of south central U.S. rice, by more than one research
group, have consistently shown that rice from this region is elevated in
inorganic arsenic compared to other rice-producing regions,” says Andrew
Meharg, professor of biogeochemistry at the University of Aberdeen in
Scotland and co-author of the book “Arsenic & Rice.” “And it does not
matter relative to risk whether that arsenic comes from pesticides or is
naturally occurring.” High levels of arsenic in soil can actually reduce
rice yields. Meharg, a leading researcher in the field, notes the
Department of Agriculture has invested in research to breed types of rice
that can withstand arsenic. That may help explain the relatively high
levels of arsenic found in rice from the region, though other factors such
as climate or geology may also play a role.

So our department of agriculture has invested in developing a crop that
contributes to human illness. :(

*******
*******