From:
"Stump, Marion" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stump, Marion
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 16:39:28 -0400

Part II

Thanks to all who responded to my original post.  This is an awesome group.  Sorry it took me so long to get this summary out.  I've included the original post and the responses.  This is in two summaries.

Hi Everyone,

I'll be traveling to Alasaka Sept 1 thru 14th.  I'll be in Anchorage, Homer and Denali.  Anyone know of gluten free/friendly places to eat? Also places to buy gluten free food.  Any help with be appreciated.  I'll summarize.

Thanks so much,
Marion

Denali will be a little harder, unless you plan to stay/eat at the gig hotels.  Would be safest to just bring you own, that's what I do unless you want to eat a lotta salads.

Here's some Anchorage info for you. The largest health food store in Anchorage is called the Natural  Pantry, and is in the University Center mall between Tudor and 36th on  Old Seward (closed Sundays). There you will find many gluten free foods, including Food for Life breads (Bhutanese is good). Lots of  items from the Gluten free pantry, Ener-G and other places are scattered through out the store. The only Ener-g items I like are their pretzels and brownies, and they have both. They have Lara bars.

There are 2 big grocery stores here, Fred Meyer and Carrs/Safeway. They

both carry a fewgluten free items. Carrs has Envirokids bars, Eat Natural bars, some Mi-del cookies, and a few other things.  Fred Meyer has some bread, Mrs

Leepers mixes, and cookies and crackers. New Sagaya City Market (13th

and I) also has GF cookies, crackers,  pretzels, and Bumble and Lara

bars.

We have an Outback restaurant with a GF menu, but they usually have to print it off the web for you.  We also have a Lone Star, which I like for beef kabobs. I also go to a Mexican place called La Cabana and order chicken tostaditas. Downtown across from Penny's is a chinese

place called China Express where you can order chicken chop suey with a white sauce - no soy sauce.

Pick up snacks for your trip to Denali, 5 hours north of Anchorage. On the way to Homer I've stopped at Summit Lake Lodge and had the nachos.  I always travel with Eat Natural bars, Lara bars and Bumble bars. Homer is 5 hours south of Anchorage. Land's End will serve you steak or seafood that  will be ok.

Go to the Natural Pantry in Anchorage on the Old Seward Hwy. for your gluten free foods. They are excellent.  They also have a little eating place, lunches.  I 'think' you might  be able to get gluten free stuff there.  I always had good luck at a very nice restuarant called Stuart Anderson on Tudor, near C St in

Anchorage. It is quite a nice place.............  I have NOT eaten there in recent years, but when I did, I never got sick from their food. I just explained exactly what I could eat and could NOT eat.  It is also known as the "Cattle Company".

We just got back from Anchorage. We had dinner downtown at Orso. It's a little pricey but they were helpful. I had the shrimp appetizer and crab legs entrée.

You asked for any GF places to eat during your business trip/vacation.  My wife has a GF Bakery in Madison, WI & sells, in addition to her GF products, the 2006-2007 GF Restaurant Guide.  I looked up your request for Anchorage & found:

1. Marx Bros. Cafe, 627 W. 3rd Ave
2. Outback, 101 W. 34th
3. Simon & Seafort's, 420 L Str
4. Sullivan's, 320 W. 5th Ave

Then ... if you travel anywhere near a town called Palmer, there is a place called Majestic Valley Lodge. They were mentioned in a long ago post on this GF Forum.  A lady was on her honeymoon, went there & asked for GF food. The chef not only accommodated her, but made a VERY tasty treat .