From:
Joanne D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 18:20:33 -0500

In reading through literature on Celiac disease, I have encountered not
only IgA deficiency, but also low C3 and C4 levels.  These complements are
necessary for the making of antibodies in human subjects.  Furthermore, all
hormone, enzyme and immunoglobulin manufacture would be adversely affected
by a longstanding malnutrition situation.  I also just read a post that
spleen function may be impaired, as well.  All of these have profound
effects on the proper functioning of the immune system.  Indeed, I
personally have had depressed C3, C4, as well as immunoglobulins, such as
IgG and IgM.

My question is regarding the logic of medical diagnostics.  How can we use
tests that depend upon a properly functioning immune system to prescreen
for a disease that might depress the very system upon which the test
depends?  Isn't this illogical?  Specifically, why do they insist upon
anti-endomysial antibodies, in a person who may be unable to manufacture
antibodies at a level high enough to test?  The sickest people are the most
likely to not measure proper antibody levels.

Joanne