From:
"Susan K. DeVries" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jul 1998 15:24:32 -0400

I've been working on eating GF for about seven months.  I make my own
flour, I read labels, I read CSA/USA information, etc.  However, I still
don't feel like I'm really all of the way better yet.  So I decided to go
back to my information sheets and see if I'm missing anything.  I can
accept the fact that some people say that foods such as buckwheat and
amaranth are O.K. and others do not.  I just don't eat them.  Even though
it is confusing, I can also somehow tollerate that there are organizations
and web sites that tell various messages about forbidden and safe
ingredients.

Where I really have a problem is the confusing information that I have
from CSA/USA.  I have recieved all of my information in the past few
months so the issues should no be that some is outdated and some is new.

*MSG - Monosodium Glutimate*
In CSA/USA's "On the Celiac Condition:A handbook for Celiac Patients and
Their Families" MSG - Monosodium Glutamate is included in a list of
additives which are GF (page 37).

CSA/USA's  "Info Sheet:  Ingredient Red Flag For Gluten-Free Commerical
Products" reports that "Foreign sources of MSG usually contain
gluten-containing grains and a large majority of U.S. food producers may
be importing this product.  U.S. source MSG usually utilizes a source
substance of cane, beets or tapioca starch.  A small percentage of
producers may be using wheat gluten.  Many celiacs report a sensitivity
and/or asthmatic reactions to MSG."

CSA/USA's "Basics for a Gluten-Free Diet" lists MSG under Items to
question.

I guess two votes to one maybe I should avoid it because it may contain
wheat??

*Malto dextrin*
CSA/USA's handout called "Those strange names on your food labels" says
this about malto dextrin "a carbohydrate byproduct from corn; helps
prevent crystallization and maintain texture; occurs naturally, bur maybe
chemically treated. "

My question is how is it chemically treated?  It doesn't say anything
about gluten or the offensive grains so I assume it is O..K.  Wouldn't this
sheet say if it contained gluten?

CSA/USA's "Info Sheet:  Ingredient Red Flag For Gluten-Free Commerical
Products" reports this about malto-dextrins "maltose and dextrins that may
be obtained by enzymic action of barley malt or acorn flour.  Celiacs must
avoid this product if the source is unknown."

I now would assume that barley malt or acorn is what the corn is
chemically treated with but that first bit of information does not say to
me that the malto dextrins are likely to contain gluten.

*Colorings and dyes from lakes (especially from red and yellow)* CSA/USA's
sheet called "Basics for a Gluten-Free Diet" lists these under a heading
of "Items to question" yet in none of their information does it say they
contain gluten and from what source.

Maybe I'm making too much of my frustrations, but I sometimes wonder if
even though I'm being very careful, I am messing up.  Some days I feel so
sure of myself and sometimes I just don't know.

Susan

P.S.  I've heard from some people that I know that mono & di-glycerides
can contain wheat, but the book "On the Celiac Condition: a handbook for
celiac patients and their families" lists the additive as GF (page 37).
Can anyone shed some light here?