Date:
Fri, 5 Jun 1998 16:34:22 -0400

CENTER FOR CELIAC RESEARCH MULTICENTER SEROLOGICAL STUDY

                      UPDATE AS OF JUNE 1, 1998

PROGRESS OF STUDY

The initial phase of the study was implemented in October with a Blood
Screening of first degree relatives in Westchester, NY.  Screenings have
also been done in Baltimore and Pittsburgh and others are planned over
the next few months in cities across the country.  A "How to Guideline"
will soon be available for groups of all sizes who want to set-up a
Blood Screening in their local areas.  We will inform you via the list
serve of its availability.

PROGRESS OF FUND-RAISING

In our first year approximately 500 donors have contributed and pledged
over $150,000.  From $10 individual contributions to a $50,000 donation
from the Oberkotter Foundation it all counts.

Support groups around the country are holding fundraisers such as;
Walk-a-thons, raffles, golf and tennis tourneys, bake sales, etc. and
contributing the proceeds. We have just begun to start the snowball
rolling.  With all of us doing what we can, this is a grassroots
fund-raising efforts that we all can be very proud to be a part of.  We
are finally doing something positive for ourselves.

But we are far short of funding the study sufficiently for the regional
centers to become fully operational.  As you probably have heard the
National Institute Of Health - NIDDK had a preliminary meeting in March
to discuss their assisting us in funding this study as well as other
Celiac research.  We continue to work with the NIH and others to explore
additional sources of funding to assist us in accomplishing this
monumental undertaking.

We must continue to call upon you - the Celiac Community - to do
whatever you can to help us finish this study.  Any questions or
suggestions please e-mail Bob Levy, CFCR volunteer ([log in to unmask])
or Pam King, Director of External Affairs ([log in to unmask])
or call 410-706-2715.

Please make donations and pledges payable to the "UM Foundation, Inc.
Center For Celiac Research" and send Attention: Pamela King, Director of
External Affairs, 700 W. Lombard St., Baltimore, MD 21201.

Thank you again for your commitment to the Celiac Community !