From:
Kelli Schulenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelli Schulenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jun 2005 10:57:10 -0600

I had many responses to my question on traveling a long distance to get Whole Foods baked GF goods.  I live in Casper, Wyoming, and the closest Whole Foods is in Ft. Collins, Colorado - a good 230 miles from here.  After all the posts about the food spoiling, I wanted to make sure I did the right thing before I headed down there.

Thanks to all who responded.

7 said they buy the bread, muffins and cookies, but never freezes anything.  Just put the bread and muffins in the fridge for weeks with no problem.  The cookies go in the cabinet.  Look at the expiration dates.

1 said to get a portable refrigerator that plugs into the cigarette lighter.  You can get it at the sporting goods section at Walmart. It is about the size of a cooler and does not need ice.

2 said to repackage what you want in the freezer so it was airtight, and put the rest in my fridge.

7 said to put it in the cooler with ice or the blue ice cooler things.

4 said dry ice.

And there were a few of you who wanted to know why I'd drive that far for GF baked goods when I could make my own or buy locally.  I wouldn't go to Ft. Collins specifically for Whole Foods.  There's a ton of stores down there that we don't have in Wyoming, period.  There are those of you who live near great shopping areas who take it for granted.  People here in Wyoming have to shop locally or at Wal-Mart, because we just don't have a lot of stores to choose from.  So, that's why I drive to Ft. Collins.  Not only is there a Whole Foods and a Wild Oats, but tons of other great stores, as well!

One person suggested Outside the Breadbox in Colorado
Springs, www.outsidethebreadbox.com and they will ship directly.  As well as when the new gf bakery opens in Denver (www.debysglutenfree.com).  She wasn't sure when they were going to start shipping products.

Thanks so much to all of you who responded!

Kelli
Casper, WY
~~
"Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot about puppies." - Gene Hill