From:
Jennifer Whitehead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2001 21:51:39 -0500

Just wanted to post my experience on my first trip to France and dining
Gluten-free.

We traveled on British Airways and I notified them in advance of my gluten-
free status.  During our main flight to London and then on to Paris I
received wonderful gf meals, with one exception.  One meal contained a
small side dish of roasted veggies over couscous!  Since it was very
apparent what the stuff was I didn't eat it and notifed the flight
attendant who promptly told me they would report the incident.  My meals
were ample and tasty and I did not feel the least bit deprived, it felt
good to have my own special meals to dive into!

I made sure to bring granola bars and pretzels on the flight as well, just
in case I got hungry.  I think my husband ate those!

One of the lessons I learned in Europe was not to take for granted what is
gf in America is also gf elsewhere.  I bought a Snickers bar from a vending
machine and after 2 bites decided to check out the wrapper just for
giggles.  The ingredients are listed in several languages, including
English and was I surprised to see 'wheat flour', big as life on the
list!  Didn't make that mistake again... read the labels!

I found a health food store that carried wonderful breads and crackers so I
stocked up for my stay.  Cheese is yummy and plentiful there so I was good
to go with my bread, a camembert and some fruit.

I did almost feel sorry for myself once gazing into a pastry shop window -
until I spotted the chocolate coated meringue.  Most shops just offer plain
or flavored, but if you can find a chocolate coated one go for it!  They
are incredibly sweet, though, but worth it.  The only hurdle was trying to
get the shop owner to not pick it up with the tongs used to pick up the
other pastry products, but I gave up with the translation and just lived
with the 'superficial' contamination... I was fine, it just freaked me out
at first.

I didn't bother with the lengthy restaurant cards, the one I used was more
than sufficient and I was not poisoned once.  It is:

Souffrant d'un etat d'intolerance des proteines cerealieres ( seigle, ble,
orge, avoine) il m'est interdit d'ingerer farine, chapeulure, semoule,
pates etc.

Si le plat, que je viens de choisir contient l'un de ces elements et ceux-
ci ne sauraient etre supprimes, veuillez me proposer un plat different.
Merci beaucoup !

In English it means something to the effect of: ' I am intolerant to grains
(wheat, rye, oats, barley) as in bread crumbs, flour, pasta, etc..
If I have chosen a dish that includes these ingredients and it is not
possible to leave out, please offer an alternate.

Thank you!

The wait person would normally take it to the chef and I would get a thumbs
up.  One time my husband and I ordered the same plate, his came with a
small potato patty and mine had extra vegetables, they are very
concientious about the food preparation I found.

I would recommend creme brulee for desserts if you like it, but be careful
of the sorbets.  I noticed that most had some sort of modified food starch.
I heard before I left that France does not 'process' their foods like we
do, but I found that most supermarket and packaged items were just as
likely to be 'processed' as ours.

If anyone is visiting Dinan I will be happy to provide more detailed
information.  Otherwise, enjoy France if you get the opportunity to go.

Jennifer