From:
Christine Schwebel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 1996 01:43:12 -0500

A short time back a message come across that summarized a New York doctor's
presentation at a conference in September.... which highlighted guidelines
of care at diagnosis as well as on a routine basis.

Included in the suggested initial diagnosis care was bone density testing
and various bloodwork checking vitamin levels, etc.  I had neither of these.
I also have had no follow up care since being diagnosed over 3 years ago.
I contacted my general physician and had a difficult time convincing him
that these are necessary.   Because absolute maintenance of a gf diet is
difficult and I often have mild stomach probs that may or may not be related
to gluten, I feel it is necessary to be checked up....  I am having a hard
time articulating what exact care I do need or should be getting.  I just
want the minimum and I do not want to feel like I am asking for the moon...
I would like to think about having children in the near future and want
reassurance that my vitamin and mineral levels or okay....  I also have had
stomach problems off and on since age 14 or earlier and was not diagnosed
with CD until age 28.... thus, my interest in the bone density test.

Can anyone suggest for me one single newsletter or article or post that sums
this all up that I can present when I see my doctor?  I actually did get a
referral from my general physician to see an Endocronologist (to consult on
the possibility of whether a bone density test is necessary...)

Anyways... thanks for any help.  It just seems it is me against the medical
profession...
Christine Schwebel
Planning and Information Management
208 Johnston Hall