Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 20:07:49 -0500

Hi to all,
I would appreciate if you can all take a moment to respond to this quick survey regarding schools and celiac.
your input is greatly appreciated.

How supportive are schools in meeting the needs of students with Celiac
Disease?

The Greater New Haven Celiac Children's Group is conducting a survey to
determine how aware parents are about 504 Plans* and to determine what accommodations
schools make for children with celiac disease. How aware is the education
community about Celiac Disease? How aware are parents of their children's rights
and the responsibilities of the schools regarding accommodations that the
schools must make for their children?

*Section 504 is as follows "No otherwise qualified individual with handicaps in the United States  shall, solely by reason of her or his handicap, be excluded from the participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance...."

Please take the time to answer our survey. We will post the results.

1. Do you have a 504 Plan for your celiac child(ren) at school?
     a. never heard of Section 504
     b. have heard of it but never bothered to request a 504 Plan because you
think it
         is unnecessary
     c. yes, my child has a 504 Plan
     d. no, the school has set up an Individual Health Plan instead

2.  Have you tried to have a 504 Plan set up at your child's school but have
been turned down? On what grounds?

3. What specific accommodations are the schools making for your child? Please
identify whether the accommodations are through Section 504 or not.

4. Anything anecdotal you would like to add about your experience with school
accommodations.