From:
Irma R DeBruyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Nov 1998 12:56:29 -0500

I am very interested in more helpful labeling. Several people have
mentioned  that the Kosher symbol on products represents that  such
products meet certain Kosher standards. We usually see this on the list
around Passover with products meeting the standard for none of the
forbidden grains. Kosher labeling could be a for celiac labeling.

If one uses that model as a model for celiacs, one needs to know that it
is not up to the company  to decide whether the company can use the label
on any given product. In fact, the label means that an authority,
recognized by a community that wants to eat only Kosher foods, has
inspected the production,  the product, and the processes used in the
production of aproduct and has compared both the production and the
ingredients with certain  aggreed upon standards, and is willing to
certify that the product meets these standards. Of course  manufacturers
can decide that that they don't care to have anything to do with having
products labeled Kosher.

This brings up some interesting questions. Other than testing every batch
of a product with the Australian test to determine gluten free
status, what standards does the
company need to meet? When they say they clean the production line are
they meeting any set standard? How far away do they have to store
materials to prevent cross contamination? How many ingredients must they
account for to give  needed information to celiacs with other allergies.
What about packaging? What coatings are used on the paper to line boxes?
What about glue? What standards have to be met by suppliers of raw
ingredients? What about contamination in grain storage or milling? How far
away do fields have to be in areas that can grow a number of crops?
What standards have to be met by suppliers of additives? Also,
is there a contract that manufactures can use with their suppliers?.

1.
Is there a document, more detailed and technical, than the ones I have
seen sent out, by either local groups or national groups, that sets out
standards to be met? Has it been agreed to by any body? By government
agencies? By any group of food manufactures? By which, if any, national or
local celiac groups. Have food technologist been involved in drawing up,
evaluating and contributing to such a document? I know that a
international standard may exist. Do we agree with it? Does it address
all of our concerns?

Who will pay for the use of experts to address these issues?

Who will pay for the convening of representatives of the celiac, medical,
manufacture's groups and governmental agencies which may be involved,  to
agree upon the standard(s) to be met?

If the answer to the above questions is not us,... then who??

2.
Assuming that some standard is drawn up, or currently exists, who  would
establish what training is needed to allow a person to inspect products,
production, etc to certify that a product is gluten free?  What
credentials would such a person have to have? If the
person is a trained food technologist, would they need to take extra
courses so that they can understand the nature of celiac needs?
Would one kind of training prepare a person to handle all aspects of
production inspection? Who will train such inspectors? Who will certify
them ?

Are we willing to provide financial support for such training?

Are we willing to pay for what is involved in certification procedures?

If the answer to the above questions is not us,..then who?

3.
Are we willing to pay for inspectors?

If the answer to the above question is not us,...then who?

Just some thoughts.

Irma