From:
Allison Charnews <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Allison Charnews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 2003 14:27:40 -0500

I am a recently diagnosed celiac and have had a hard time with the topic of
cross contamination in frying oils at restaurants.  To me the possibility
of an gluten surviving in such an extremly high heat environment seems
ridiculous.(after all high heat is used to sterilize things, what makes
gluten so special that it would last through the heat). Can someone explain
to me how it would be possible for gluten to survive?  Has anyone had
reactions to foods that would otherwise be considered safe, such as french
fries or corn chips, that would indicate it was fried in a contaminated oil?

Also as an FYI... I found a great tool offered through the Clan Thompson
website- http://www.clanthompson.com/celiacsite/prod_catalog.html .  It's
called Smartlist, just type in an item and see if it's gluten free.   It
can be downloaded on your PC or a Palm pilot.  Downloading it on a Palm
makes it very convenient for travel, grocery shopping, etc.  something you
can have with you all the time.

thanks