From:
Steve Butcher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Butcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2013 10:53:51 -0500

My wife and I both have Celiac disease and have a baby boy due in late
April.  We plan on always having a gluten free house, but would like advice
on if/when/how to introduce gluten into our kid's diet.  Has anyone crossed
this bridge?  We will talk to our doctors about it, and probably a
nutritionist, but would like to know what other people would do or have
done.

Our kid will obviously have the genes for Celiac, but that does not mean it
is certain that he will  develop the disease.  If he doesn't need to be
gluten free, then our first instinct would be to let him eat wheat when we
are out at restaurants or when he is over at friends' houses.  That would
make social situations easier, and he would get to enjoy the things we no
longer can.  However, a big part of me wants to keep him totally GF,
because I had stunted growth, dental problems, and felt bad through much of
my childhood until I was diagnosed at 18.  Do we introduce wheat when he
starts eating solid foods and do the blood tests regularly?  Wait longer to
introduce wheat?  Never introduce wheat?  What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Steve