Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2006 16:49:38 -0500

The original post talked about Delta airlines having discontinued their Gluten
free meals.  I will be traveling to Moscow for work on Delta, about 10 hr.
flights.

Several people suggested getting the fruit plate.  There is no fruit plate
mentioned in the list of special meals.  One person said the that the Veggie
meal looked okay until they realized it had orzo.  One person suggested the cold
seafood would be okay unless it has sea legs in it (which have wheat starch).
One person said that the kosher meal might be an option, but I should talk to
the airline to see what's in it.  I don't eat shell fish.  I tried talking to
the airline and part of my problem is they have no information about what is in
any of the meals, so there is no point in ordering any of the special meals,
since they  seem just as likely to have gluten as the regular meal.

Several people suggested different strategies for taking my own food along.  One
suggested filling tupperware with food for the way out and filling it up again
for the way home.  One suggested taking zip lock bags.  One suggested ordering 2
dinners the night before the return trip and freezing one for the flight home.
While taking my own food appears to be all I can do, I'm really not sure any of
these approaches will work for the return flight.  I will not have the freedom
to hunt down packable food for the trip home, since I'll be traveling for work
with another person and I will not have control of where I'm going.  There were
also suggestions to take along protein bars and other snack food.  One question
is whether I can take food of this sort into Russia.  I haven't found the answer
online and I will making some phone calls next week to try to answer what I can
take along.

One person said that Delta is a problem:  I've flown on Delta and I agree, it is
extremely difficult.  They should have a fruit plate and also, on long flights
like that, you likely can talk the flight attendants into giving you food from
first class.  I've complained to Delta directly several times, along the same
lines as you, they've opted to keep "choice" diets (vegetarian, kosher, etc) but
not one that is b/c of health needs.  Unless they heard from masses of people, I
think they just don't care.  I packed myself protein bars, etc. that would stay
(i.e. individually wrapped crackers, GF pretzels, etc.).  There's no good answer
here -- Delta just doesn't care. BTW, Continental, which is a Delta partner,
does offer GF meals.  If this happens to be a codeshare flight, perhaps you can
get the meal that way?

Thanks for the responses,  I don't think most of them will help.  Mostly these
approaches would work better if I was traveling on my own in the US, where I
could stop into a store and find food for the return trip.  Of course I won't
starve on one flight, but it is frustrating.  I agree that they won't do
anything about this unless a lot of people complain.