From:
Aviva (Lisa) Mandl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 17:51:54 -0500

Hello,

I first want to thank everyone for their ideas on what I could use as a
substitute for matzoh meal in my Passover recipes (especially for the
vegetarian kishke that I mentioned).  The top suggestion is a product by
Paskez called Pesach Crumbs.  Other than that, possible substitutions
suggested were: mashed potato flakes; additional vegetables, potato and
egg; someone mentioned looking in Bette Hagman's bread book to see how
she discusses flour substitutes to see what might have similar
consistentcy, and lastly, potato pancake mix.

I couldn't find any of the Paskez Pesach Crumbs, so I decided to try my
Vegetarian Kishke recipe with the potato pancake mix.  Using that, I was
able to get the same consistency I've had using matzoh meal.  I can't
tell you how it will turn out since I have it in the oven while I'm
typing this and won't be eating it until the first seder, but it does
smell delicious!

Since many have requested the recipe, here it is.

Pesadic Vegetarian Kishke
2 carrots
2 stalks of celery
1 small or medium onion
2 eggs
1/4 cup of oil
1 6-oz box of Manischewitz Potato Pancake Mix

Grind onion, carrots and celery in a food processor.  Put into a large
mixing bowl.  Add the box of potato pancake mix, eggs and oil.  Mix well
and spoon onto foil to form two to three rolls, approximately 2 inches
in diameter by 8 inches long.  Wrap and pinch the ends of the foil
closed.  Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour.  Remove from the oven and let
stand about 10 minutes.  Unwrap foil and slice into pieces to serve.

I typically have added salt and pepper to this recipe, however since the
potato pancake mix is seasoned, I opted not to do so.  I recommend
doubling or tripling the recipe and freezing kishkes for another meal.
(I doubled the recipe when I made it tonight and wound up with two
really nice-sized rolls and 2 small ones.)  If freezing, you don't need
to bake it first.  I've found my family likes this recipe more than any
of the store-bought kishkes.

Enjoy and have a good pesach.

Aviva