Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 20:06:52 -0600

This has been a great pie crust recipe and a favorite apple pie.

?MAE'S PIE CRUST

 Single Crust    (Double for double crust)
 3/4 C. white rice flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 C. scant shortening (I use Crisco-half butter flavor & half regular)
1/4 C. cold water
2 tsp. potato flour (NOT starch)

Spray pie pan before putting crust in!
Blend rice flour, salt, & shortening in bowl. In a small bowl, with mixer on
low speed, gradually add potato flour to water-stirring quickly or you can
use a small whisk. (Do not pour water onto the potato flour or it becomes
gummy-instead put the water in a little bowl and gently put the potato flour
in while whisking it).   Pour over flour mixture and work in with a spoon;
then knead into a ball with few strokes as ossible. I roll between 2 pieces
of wax paper that is dusted well with rice flour. Flute edges and use for
unbaked crust or bake and then put filling in.  You can press across bottom
and up side of pie pan if you don't want to roll it.  It is helpful to chill
in refrigerator first but not necessary.  It is important to use the rice
flour sprinkled on the dough while working with it to roll it out to prevent
sticking, etc.

Here is an apple pie filling that brought compliments at our support group
meeting.

1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. flour
½ tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. lemon juice
5 cups thinly sliced apples (I used Jonathon apples because I like the
tartness best)
2 Tbsp. butter or margarine.
Combine sugar, flour, spices, salt, and lemon juice.  Add apples, toss to
mix.  To the unbaked pie crust, add half the apples, pack well.  Dot with
butter.  Add remaining apples.  Brush with milk and sprinkle with
sugar (optional).  Bake at 400 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until apples
test done with fork.  May have to cover with aluminum foil toward the end to
prevent burning edges.