From:
kretzmann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
kretzmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 18:50:31 -0700

Breast feeding did not prevent celiac in this case....

Here is my case for anecdotal evidence. I can only say that maybe my kids would have been sicker sooner without breast feeding. It certainly didn't stop it altogether.

I breastfed all three of my children well past the age of two. My first two children were over 30 months old when weaned.

I am a non-biopsied celiac. My youngest son is confirmed celiac through Dr. Fine's tests.  My daughter, age 23, is a celiac in denial (when she went GF a few months ago her stomach aches went away after only 8 days on teh diet. Also the numbness in her toes. The stomach aches have been with her, off and on, for 10 years. She is currently seeing exactly what she can get away with...and some problems are returning. So we'll see.

My son age 18 is very allergic to milk - it makes him lazy and listless. He's a new man since he gave that up. Cheese is okay - but he's VERY allergic to goat cheese! I want to have him tested for celiac via Dr. Fine soon.

Celiac runs on both sides of my family. I was in denial too. I probably have two celiac genes.

So, I think breast feeding is very good. It just didn't completely protect against celiac. My youngest son looks the thinnest, and he only nursed to age two - instead of 30 months.

Foods were introduced at age 6 months. There was not much effort to postpone wheat, etc. I may have delayed grains until age 8-10 months. It's along time ago!

joy!
Mary
California