Date:
Sun, 25 Dec 2005 14:07:06 -0500

Travel on Holland America

We just returned from a Holland America 10 day cruise.  I wanted to report
on my gluten free experience.

On making the reservation my Travel Agent placed a note on the reservation
indicating I needed a Gluten Free Diet.

Sixty days before the cruise the travel agent received a form from the
company asked my for my GF food preferences.  Included on the form was:

Pasta        # servings
Rice Fettuccini           3
Penne            3
Elbow Pasta           3

Bread/Muffins/Buns
White Sandwich Bread   7
Brown Sandwich Bread  10
Bagels    10

Soups
Chicken Noodle w/fettuccini 5
Minestrone w/elbow pasta 8
Beef consume w/vegetables 2

Desserts
Chocolate Cake   4
Apple Almond Cake  4
Chocolate Chip Cookies  4
Almond Cookies   4
Rice Almond Honey pudding 2

Miscellaneous
Small Pizza/pizza dough  4
Cold Cereals   6

Additional items were also listed in each category.  If you wanted more
than what was reasonable (based on the number of days of the trip a charge
of $2.00 per item would be added.

My travel agent faxed in my request as required.  Following previous
suggestions made by other travelers I called the cruise line five (5)
weeks before the cruise to verify if the had received the form.  The
office had not received the form.  My travel agent refaxed the form and
again it didn’t reach the right person.  They then faxed it directly to
the person and I emailed it as well.  Success!  You must call 4-5 weeks
before the cruise.

Now to the cruise:

I was provided bread, muffins, and cereal every morning as eggs etc. and
bread (white or brown) in the evening.  I normally received 3-4 slices.
The galley did everything in their power to ensure the food was gluten
free.  I was given a copy of the next day’s lunch and dinner menu from
which I selected items and the kitchen took it from there. I received GF
soup when I requested it and other soups which were GF.  I never received
pizza.  The deserts consisted of chocolate cake (excellent) and chocolate
chip cookies.

On days where we ate in the Lido room - informal dining area.  I spoke
with the lunch time head chef who personally made me a GF lunches. He also
brought me ingredient lists on items such as ice cream. He was very
helpful.

I did have a mild case of DH.  I assumed it was from cross contamination,
but it could have been from stress.  We had a cabin problem, it was
resolved.

I will travel with Holland America again.