From:
Nancy Kloberdanz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Apr 2001 10:11:29 EDT

Mary Stift wrote on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 12:45 PM

Hello,

If this memo has not yet been posted on your list serv, I believe you may
find it helpful to do so.  (If it has, please note the addition of Panda
Puffs to our list of gluten free cereals.

Any questions or comments, please feel free to respond.

Thanks so much,

Kind regards,
Mary Stift, B. Sc.

Consumer Services Coordinator
Nature's Path Foods, Inc.

MEMO:  RE:  Nature's Path manufacturing practices with regard to gluten

TO: All consumers, especially those with gluten sensitivities

Nature's Path Foods is North America's leading producer of organic cereals
offering an extensive line of products, some of which are gluten free.  We do
not specifically manufacture specialty foods necessary to meet strict allergy
free guidelines, however, we do have products that can be acceptable
depending on each individual's requirements.  We keep abreast of nutritional
research, and believe that the information on celiac disease is continually
ongoing, with certain aspects being inconclusive as new information continues
to develop with regard to absolute dietary guidelines.  Our stance on this
issue is as follows.

The most definitive information clearly demonstrates that proteins from
wheat, rye and barley are unacceptable for individuals on a gluten free diet.
 Additionally, Kamut and spelt have proteins that are so similar to the
gluten and gliadin proteins found in wheat, it is recommended that these
grains also be avoided.

Nature's Path Foods, Inc. is aware of the food sensitivities that some
individuals have specifically with regard to gluten.  We therefore take
precautions to prevent any cross contamination in our gluten free products.
We remain confident in the integrity and quality of our GMP (good
manufacturing practices) and cleaning procedures that we use to thoroughly
clean the production equipment between product runs.  However, it is
essentially impossible to "guarantee" that there is no possibility of
contamination or human error .

In addition to strict manufacturing guidelines, the equipment is periodically
inspected and tested for gluten contamination.  Cereal samples are also sent
out to independent labs to assure there is no presence of gluten.

The following Nature's Path products are therefore considered gluten free:

*  Mesa Sunrise(tm) Indian corn, flax, and amaranth multigrain flakes
(sweetened with unrefined cane juice)

*  Corn Flakes (sweetened with unrefined cane juice)

*  Honey'd(tm) Corn Flakes (sweetened with honey)

*  Amazon Frosted Flakes(tm) (corn flakes sweetened w/ honey and cane juice

*  Gorilla Munch(tm) (crunchy corn pops sweetened w/ unrefined cane juice)

*  Panda Puffs(tm) (crunchy sweetened corn pops with a peanut butter coating

Our sister company, Lifestream(r), offers 2 varieties of highly nutritious
and delightfully delicious toaster waffles that are gluten free:  Buckwheat
Wildberry & Mesa Sunrise(tm).

Additionally, Nature's Path also offers several varieties of puffed grains
including  Puffed Rice, Puffed Millet, and Puffed Corn.  However, these
products are made in a separate facility that will often run several
different grains simultaneously, including Puffed Wheat and Puffed Kamut,
which are not gluten free.  Consequently, depending on each individual's
sensitivity to gluten, the puffed grain cereals may or may not be appropriate
for a strict gluten-free diet.

We always welcome consumer inquires and comments, and we make every effort to
address individual concerns.  While we realize that we may not be able to
meet specific needs of every consumer, we make every effort to achieve and
maintain customer satisfaction.

For further information, please feel free to contact our Consumer Services
Coordinator, Mary Stift, B.Sc. at 360.332.1111.

Kind regards,
Mary Stift, B. Sc.

Consumer Services Coordinator
Nature's Path Foods, Inc.