From:
Tamara Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tamara Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2006 08:33:45 -0800

gluten intolerance, I received the following message from list member
Danielle.  It appears that while Ms. Truss did not respond to each
message she received regarding the comment, she did indeed "get" the
message:

--- Forwarded Msg ---

I had not heard of this issue, as I don't always keep up with the list.
But, you made me curious, so I did a Google search and found the
following on one website:

    A number of members contacted us to complain about comments in Lynne
Truss' latest book 'Talk to the Hand' in which she made light of coeliac
disease by joking about gluten intolerance. Coeliac UK CEO Sarah Sleet
wrote to Lynne Truss to express concern and explain the seriousness of
coeliac disease. We received the following apology from the authoress:

    ''I am appalled to discover that a joke in my book Talk to the Hand
has caused offence to a number of people. That offence is entirely
unintentional; in fact the joke is clearly directed entirely at myself.
I am saying that, being in a heightened state of intolerance for things
in general, I mistake ''gluten intolerance'' for a kind of flag-waving
pressure group (rather than a medical condition), and am keen to join
up. At the time it seemed to me quite a good joke, and to be honest I
adapted it from a line in a Seinfeld broadcast many years ago, so the
only accusation I anticipated was one of plagiarism. However, I
apologise for any genuine hurt caused, and will remove the joke in later
editions of the book.''

So, that is a nice thing to read. It would appear that she was just
ignorant about the disease. That quote comes from this link:
http://www.coeliac.co.uk/exg/340.asp

*******
*******