From:
Mary Ann Coyle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Ann Coyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 16:39:34 -0500

This post has two parts:  1) an answer to my question about Ready Rice; and 2) a summary of the responses to my post.

1) According to Uncle Ben's, certain flavors of Ready Rice are gluten free.  Please see below a list of gluten free products sent by Uncle Bens' to another list participant and forwarded by her to me.  Many thanks, Eileen, for this very helpful answer to my original question.

(free from wheat, rye, oats, and barley):

UNCLE BEN'S(r) ORIGINAL CONVERTED(r) Brand Rice
UNCLE BEN'S(r) Instant Rice
UNCLE BEN'S(r) Whole Grain Brown Rice
UNCLE BEN'S(r) Instant Brown Rice
UNCLE BEN'S(r) Boil-in-Bag Rice
UNCLE BEN'S(r) Long Grain & Wild Rice (discard seasoning packet)
UNCLE BEN'S(r) READY RICE Original Long Grain
UNCLE BEN'S(r) READY RICE Whole Grain Brown
UNCLE BEN'S(r) READY RICE Spanish Rice

[text omitted]

Jen Norsworthy
Uncle Ben's Consumer Care Department
1-800-548-6253"

2) Most respondents suggested to me that I eat regular rice or other Uncle Ben's products that they knew were gluten free.  I do indeed usually eat regular rice prepared at home in my own rice cooker and have on occasion eaten other Uncle Ben's products.  I wanted specifically to know about Ready Rice because it is microwaveable in its own pouch and thus safer while traveling to non-celiac houses over the holidays.  One respondent said that Uncle Ben's product labels say "gluten free".  I have never seen this on Uncle Ben's products, but have sent an email to the manufacturer asking what to look for on their labels and will forward any reply.  Other respondents suggested that I simply read the ingredients and decide from that whether the product is safe.  I never rely solely on the list of ingredients in deciding whether to eat a commercial product.  In that vein, however, the nutrition labels for Uncle Ben's products are replicated on their website, making it easy to exclude products that definitely contain wheat from your shopping list before going to the store.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond to my question!

Mary Ann