From:
Medresearch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Medresearch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Aug 2006 22:55:41 -0400

Well thank you to all the people who have replied to this question.  We seem
to have a lot of people with the same concerns.

A few have decided not to fly.

A couple only carry dry things like crackers, trail mix, pretzels and other
gf staples.

Some pack them in luggage.

Here are some other longer comments:

Check with the faa website ...all the regs will be there OR check with
travel agent...they have the latest

Go to NYTIMES.COM ...register if you don't belong.  In the TRAVEL section
today (August 17) is an article as to what you can and cannot bring on a
plane

I usually carry a backpack with food--juices, yogurt, cheese, GF pretzels,
lunchmeat, etc. Now that's  not possible.    One online news article
interviewed a doctor who raised similar questions with regards to diabetics
and people on nitroglycerin (liquid version). Our government is going to
have to address these problems for folks with special needs sooner or later.

I live in the Caribbean and I too have been wondering how I'll . travel
abroad.  Even though a doctor cannot provide a prescription for GF
foodstuff, he can  [rovide a bonafide letter stating that the person
travelling has special dietary needs and would need to travel with certain
food items which he can then list.  I would suggest small items such  as
cookies and crackers (not many), stored in transparent bags.  Why these
items?  Because they are flat and cannot hide explosives or weapons.  Items
such as bread and cake will be suspect.  Maybe yogurt might be acceptable if
it's in a small transparent container and the person is made to taste it in
front of the security personnel.   Maybe Celiac organisations can put
forward our case so that Homeland Security may understand that like
diabetics and babies, the need to travel with food is a life and death issue
and not one of lifestyle or fad.

I had to fly home to the east coast from Los Angeles just after the new
restrictions were instituted.  Because of the long flight and the need to be
at the airport so early, I needed to pack lunch and dinner.  I usually pack
food in a tiny cooler and use one of those gel-based freezer packs.  This
time, I filled up two ziplock sandwich bags with frozen peas and used that
as my "cool packs."  It worked really well.  I packed the cooler at 8 a.m.
and when I got home nearly 12 hours later, the peas were defrosted but still
cold!

I always travel with a Styrofoam ice chest that I check with my luggage.  I
tape the ice chest with strapping tape so it doesn't get broken, but it has
done real well.  Then when I come home, I just throw out the ice chest.  I
have also done this with a standard ice chest and checked it.  They won't
let you carry dry ice, so I fill a half-gallon of milk about 2/3 full with
water and freeze that to keep my food cool.

I plan to get a letter from my doctor explaining that I am gf only.  Without
that I think you will be out of luck.  You could ship your yogurt ahead to
where you are going.

I am a celiac, vegan,  kosher and allergic to dairy.   the only meal I can
eat is the fruit  meal and then generally on the outbound leg I get almost
nothing to  eat because the US fruit meal means a tiny bit of fruit and a
salad  with shrimps or ham on it.  They forget my special meal about 75% of
the time.

more to follow...

Paula in Pa.

*******