From:
Lindsay Amadeo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lindsay Amadeo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 2004 18:50:07 -0500

Original Post:  I have read that the HLA series DQ2 and DQ8 are common to
celiac.  I have not read about DQ1,3 links to gluten sensitivity.  Received
the following results from Dr Fine's Enterolab and appreciate comments from
anyone that has more knowledge on gene testing than I do:

Gene Test for Gluten Sensitivity
Molecular analysis:  HLA-DQB1*0602, 0301
Serologic equivalent:  HLA-DQ 1,3 (subtype 6,7)

Interpretation: Although you do not possess one of the main genes that
predisposes to celiac sprue (DQ2 or DQ8), HLA gene analysis reveals
that you do have a genotype that can predispose to gluten sensitivity
(HLA-DQ1,3 especially that involving DQB1*0602 and DQB1*0301). This
genotype also can predispose to microscopic colitis.

Although having the gene does not mean you are gluten sensitive per se,
a gluten sensitivity stool panel can determine whether or not you have
active gluten sensitivity. To order this test panel, go to
http://www.enterolab.com/Tests

DQ8.  However, there were biopsy-confirmed celiacs responding with a
genetic make up of DQ1.  Many of these folks had non-GI symptoms and those
reporting GI symptoms tested negative on blood and biopsy test but improved
on a gf diet.

1) Attached is information on the entero lab site.
· Please see this answer at http://www.enterolab.com/What_Happens
and why it is not about celiac disease  but gluten sensitivity at
http://www.enterolab.com/Essay

2) BMJ article on gluten sensitivity: CONTENTIOUS ISSUES
"But antigliadin antibodies lack specificity".  IgG anti-gliadin antibodies
have been the best diagnostic marker in the neurological population we have
studied. IgG anti-gliadin antibodies have a very high sensitivity for CD
but they are said to lack specificity. In the context of a range of mucosal
abnormalities and the concept of potential CD, they may be the only
available immunological marker for the whole range of gluten sensitivity of
which CD is only a part. Further support for our contention comes from our
HLA studies. Within the group of patients with neurological disease and
gluten sensitivity (defined by the presence of anti-gliadin antibodies) we
have found a similar HLA association to that seen in patients with CD: 70%
of patients have the HLA DQ2 (30% in the general population), 9% have the
HLA DQ8, and the remainder have HLA DQ1. The finding of an additional HLA
marker (DQ1) seen in the remaining 20% of our patients may represent an
important difference between the genetic susceptibility of patients with
neurological presentation to those with gastrointestinal presentation
within the range of gluten sensitivity.
You can read the whole article at
http://jnnp.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/72/5/560

3) Other comments:
· Had Enterolabs for the gene test. I came back as DQ1. To the
uninitiated, this is a debatable gene when it comes to it's connection to
CD. Dr. Fine avers it to be a predisposing gene to gluten-intolerance;
other experts disagree and say only DQ2 and DQ8 are predisposing genes to
CD.
· From watching this forum, I don't think I've ever seen anyone who
tested DQB1 who had a high Ttg. It seems that the pattern is for the IGg to
be elevated, if anything, and for there to be more neurological symptoms
either with or without gut related symptoms.
The site in particular I used is very thorough:
http://cs.portlandpress.co.uk/cs/093/0479/cs0930479.htm

Lindsay