From:
Pamela A. O'Keefe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 15:03:22 -0600

I've gotten several responses this afternoon re. my opinion on the
Catholic Church and Communion.

First off, just as it is wrong for people who are ignorant of the facts
of celiac to make decisions re. the celiac diet, so to is it wrong for
people who are ignorant of someone else's religion to make decisions
about how it ought to be run.

Second, some have wondered as to a source for low-gluten hosts.
Celiac.com has that information.

Many of the people responding said they were Catholics.  Some have
"parish shopped" until they found a priest willing to bend the rules for
them.  Many others have remained in the Church, and adapted, either by
refraining from receiving the Host, or receiving a small piece of It.
Still others refrain altogether, or receive from the Cup (apparently w/o
problems).

Some suggested that, the Catholic Church has changed other things, why
not this?  As I said in the opening paragraph-- you don't want
non-celiacs telling you what to eat, do you?  For anyone who cares to
take the time, you could undertake a personal study as to why the Church
changes some things and not others.

Mostly though, it seems based on the email I got that I was right-- this
is more about getting the Catholic Church to change than it is about
celiacs learning to live in a world of wheat.  Wheat, etc. is out there.
Each individual has to figure out what works and what doesn't as s/he
tries to avoid it.

Finally, some asked about the Latin in my sig line-- it means, "Serve the
Lord your God w/ all your heart, all your soul and all your mind."

Later,
Pam
"Dileges Dominum Deum ex toto corde tuo,

  et in tota anima tua, et in tota mente tua. "